1970 • MG B Roadster CONTACT US
Location of the lot Pommeroeul, Belgium
Bullet point A reputedly reliable roadster
and also An exceptional pleasure / budget ratio
Engine capacity1798 cc
Number of cylinders4
Number of gears 4
Estimate €13,000 - 16,000
It was during the Earl Courts Salon in London in 1962 that the replacement of the MG A was showed. In reference to its predecessor, it logically bears the name "MG B" and is part of the tradition. English roadsters for which the brand is famous. Still simple and robust in design, it nevertheless incorporates more elaborate comfort aimed at satisfying a wider audience. Its successful line, its homogeneity and its reliability will ensure a large commercial success, in particular across the Atlantic, which will last until 1980.
The car on offer left the factory in October 1969 for the American market and would have known only three owners. The current one acquired it in February 2014. The same year, a bodywork and mechanical overhaul was carried out and since then approximately 1000 miles (1600 km) have been driven. The Belgian registration certificate is in the name of the owner, the last technical inspection was carried out on April 5, 2014 when the vehicle was registered, Belgian legislation making it unnecessary to retake it since. The vehicle is free of any pledge.
In 2014, the car received a bodywork overhaul and paintwork in its original red tint. The paint shows several traces of use, including a small chip on the left side of the trunk sill (photo 033). The bumpers conform to the vintage car, the chrome of the rear one is superficially oxidized (photo 037). The bodywork is complete with its rods, slightly sunken in places (photo 023) and specific badges. The spoked rims painted in gray as originally and secured with octagonal nuts are fitted with Dunlop SP7 165 SR 14 tires, little worn but dating from 2007 at the rear and 2006 at the front. The soft top has been restored and the interior has a tonneau cover. The set is embellished with an accessory luggage rack bolted to the trunk lid.
The black imitation leather upholstery looks original and, like the bodywork, is in used condition. The dashboard is complete and conforms to the model, a graduation in km / h has been added to the tachometer graduated in original miles. The center console houses an optional vintage British Leyland radio with missing speakers. The watch is functional, the rim of the steering wheel is dressed in a cover probably intended for another model (photo 069). A circuit breaker is also installed behind the driver's seat. Opening the boot reveals the spoked spare wheel fitted with a tire identical to the other four and the original tool kit while we can observe that holes have been drilled in the sheet separating with the 'cabin, maybe for a speaker (photo 055).
The engine is of the 18V type, corresponding to the 1971 to 1974 vintages, attached to a 4-speed manual gearbox without overdrive. It benefited from numerous works during the restoration of 2014, including the clutch, the water pump, the radiator and the hoses, as well as the gasoline supply system, tank included. The ignition and carburetors were also replaced with new ones, as were the starter, alternator and complete exhaust line. A K&N accessory air filter was fitted, as well as an oil cooler. The running gear were not left out since the rear leaf spring and the four shock absorbers, as well as the connecting rods were changed. The brake system has also been completely refurbished (front discs and their pads, rear drums and linings, wheel cylinders and hoses).
Reserve not met